FPHL volunteer Ed Stevenson was presented with a 2013 ALF Len Hadley Volunteerism award during the American Lighthouse Foundation’s annual Lighthouse Gala, which was held at the Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel on May 4, 2013.
Since he became involved late in the 2011 season, Ed Stevenson has contributed far above and beyond what could be expected from any volunteer. Here are just a few of things he’s done…
* He has volunteered at virtually every open house at Portsmouth Harbor Light, every nighttime “haunted tour,” and every fundraising cruise, along with just about every other event the chapter has held.
* At the open houses, Ed is always one of the first to arrive for setup, and he has taken the initiative to be one of the small number of volunteers who speak to the public about the history of the lighthouse and its keepers. He’s usually in the watchroom or the lantern room, sharing stories of Joshua Card, Connie Small, and other illustrious residents from the station’s past, and also sharing information about the still active Fresnel lens.
* He has taken an active role whenever there have been work parties to paint the lighthouse stairs and other interior surfaces, as well as the walkway to the lighthouse and other associated structures.
* Ed single-handedly built and installed new doors on the storage shed at Portsmouth Harbor Light.
* He repaired the metal cap on the oil house roof to prevent water from getting inside over the winter.
* Ed repaired the hinges on the lighthouse door.
* He replaced a window pane in Portsmouth Harbor Light that was broken in a winter storm.
Ed has done all of this and more with good humor and a steady, low-key demeanor. When he’s not working at the lighthouse or at his job with the Demoulas Market Basket company, you might see Ed walking his dog, Indy, along the shore in New Castle. As a new member of the chapter’s board of directors, he is now part of the planning process for future improvements to Portsmouth Harbor Light and Whaleback Light.
The American Lighthouse Foundation honors Ed Stevenson as the Friends of Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouses’ 2013 ALF Len Hadley Volunteerism Award recipient.