In an effort to keep Owls Head Lighthouse looking its best, the Friends of Rockland Harbor Lights, a chapter of the American Lighthouse Foundation, will be repainting the tower’s black lantern, iron railing and granite exterior gallery in 2015.
The exterior’s white brickwork was repainted last year, and with the completion of the lantern project later this season, the 1852 tower will be gleaming from top to bottom once again.
The repainting work will be carried out by the J.B. Leslie Company of South Berwick, Maine, at a cost of $4,800 and managed by ALF on behalf of its local chapter.
Owls Head Lighthouse will be open to visitors on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays starting Memorial Day weekend through Columbus Day. The upcoming repainting project is not expected to impact the lighthouse tours as contracting crews will work around the scheduled openings.
The historic light station is home to the headquarters of the American Lighthouse Foundation, which is located inside the keeper’s house. The dwelling also houses a lighthouse interpretive center and gift shop.
Teamwork is what keeps Owls Head Light Station in tip-top shape. ALF’s Friends of Rockland Harbor Lights staffs the lighthouse with volunteers throughout the season and raises funds for its ongoing care through tower donations, while ALF staffs the keeper’s house, manages restoration projects and facilitates general maintenance / housekeeping duties of the structures and grounds.