Owls Head Lighthouse sits majestically atop an 80-foot bluff overlooking Penobscot Bay, near the entrance to Rockland Harbor along Midcoast Maine. Once atop the lighthouse visitors have the chance to admire the gorgeous fourth order Fresnel lens that dates back to 1856 while enjoying panoramic views of the bay, islands and marine traffic, including Maine’s elegant windjammer fleet.
Keeper’s House Interpretive Center & Gift Shop Hours of Operation:
Memorial Day – Columbus Day Hours…
Monday | Wednesday | Thursday | Friday | Saturday | Sunday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Tuesday: Closed, may be open by chance
Open year-round, weather permitting. Please call 207-594-4174 for off-season hours.
Lighthouse Climbing Tours – Memorial Day to Columbus Day:
Volunteers staff this popular sentinel for climbing from Memorial Day through Columbus Day on Monday afternoons (1-4) and Saturday & Sunday (10-4). Please note, all tours are weather and volunteer availability permitting. Must be 42″ to climb the lighthouse. Suggested donation: $3.00
For More Information:
ALF’s Interpretive Center
Located on the first floor
inside the Keeper’s House at
Owls Head Light!
Tower Tour FAQS:
- Height Requirement: Our younger visitors must be taller than 42 inches to climb the tower.
- There are no restroom facilities at the lighthouse. Please utilize the restrooms adjacent to the parking lot.
- Wear comfortable shoes. High heels, flip-flops, or other open back footwear are not permitted when climbing the tower.
- Use caution when climbing the stairs to the lighthouse and then again when climbing the steps inside in the tower. Be prepared to climb a seven wrung ladder to enter the lantern room. Use the hand railing where appropriate.
- Dress warmly. The lighthouse is located on a precipice 80 feet above the ocean. Expect higher velocity winds and lower temperatures as compared to the parking lot.
GPS Coordinates: 44° 05′ 33″N 69° 02′ 39″W (View Map)
From US Route 1in Rockland… At the intersection of Park and Main Streets (traffic light) turn right onto Route 73 (South Main Street) and follow for 1.8 miles. Turn left onto North Shore Drive and follow signs 3.4 miles to Owls Head Light State Park. Once in the parking lot, walk the two-tenths of a mile to the lighthouse.